The Day Before Your Surgery
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight, the night before the procedure.
- Patients having a colonoscopy procedure please follow you doctor’s instructions regarding diet and prep.
The Morning of Your Procedure
- If you take blood pressure, heart medication, thyroid medication, and/or seizure medication in the morning PLEASE take them with a small sip of water. Otherwise no other medication until after the procedure. For any questions on medication, please contact your surgeon’s office.
- Bring a list of medication(s) taken on a regular basis (prescription, over the counter, and/or vitamins).
- If you use an inhaler, please bring it with you.
- Please bring glasses/contacts and their case. (Your family member/responsible adult will be responsible for these items during your procedure(s)).
- Please wear hearing aid and/or dentures, DO NOT apply adhesive (Your family member/responsible adult will be responsible for these items during your procedure(s)).
- Wear loose comfortable clothing.
- You must have a responsible adult driver who MUST STAY at our facility until you are discharged from PACU.
- You must have an adult stay with you during the first 24 hours after your procedure. This person can help you for comfort and safety.
- Please leave ALL jewelry, money, wallet, purse, and other valuables at home. Please bring your insurance card and a photo I.D. as we are required to verify your identity.
If The Patient Is A Minor
- A Parent/Legal Guardian MUST be present upon registration and must stay at the facility at all times.
- You may bring a pacifier, their favorite toy, blanket, book or any item that may be comforting to the child. If the child uses a bottle, you may bring it and give it to your child after the case as instructed by a nurse.
At The Surgery Center
A nurse will ask you to sign an Informed Consent form. It lists:
- Your name
- The kind of procedure you will have and which side
- The risks of your procedure
- That you talked to your doctor about the procedure
- Your agreement to have the procedure performed
Make sure everything on the form is correct. Make sure all of your questions have been answered. If you do not understand something, please let us know right away.